Technology allows for the constant development of new manufacturing processes, and the medical industry is no exception as additive manufacturing brings personalized medical solutions to healthcare by allowing manufacturers, increasingly medical device manufacturers, to produce customized parts for individual patients. Each of us is unique, and selective laser melting technology can provide the perfect fit for everyone. For functional prototyping, one-offs or small production runs, metal additive manufacturing allows for mass customization. This personalized healthcare is made available with minimized lead times, yet manufactured at a consistent level of quality to meet the most stringent regulatory requirements.
Production-ready components are already manufactured include medical instruments, acetabular hip cups, dental crowns and bridges, fracture fixation plates, craniofacial implants, lumbar fusion cages and knee implant components. In fact, as of the end of 2015, the FDA has cleared more than 85 3D printed medical devices and the market is estimated to grow to $2.3 Billion by 2020.
Explore the benefits of additive manufacturing using complex geometries and high-grade materials from SLM Solutions.
- Freedom of design to create complex, unique structures intended for function
- 3D process allows for faster, cost-efficient production of customized parts
- Print in bio-compatible materials, such as Titanium, with minimized material waste
- Unique stemmed designs for osseointegration
- Porous structures for reduced stress shielding
- Quality monitoring systems to ensure process repeatability and documentation